Client Notting Hill Genesis
Location London, UK
Jestico +Whiles were appointed by Notting Hill Genesis to design a new residential-led, mixed-use development that regenerated the brownfield site at Queens Road, Peckham. Now known as Peckham Place, the site was once part of the Acorn Estate, a 1960s social housing development. Permeability and legibility of the original building was compromised by its scale and poor design, creating issues of safety and security.
Our approach was to open up the site and create new pedestrianised living streets for everyone to enjoy. These urban oases connect existing and new neighbourhoods to cultivate a sense of community, whilst promoting active travel with walking and cycling trails. They have been designed as people-friendly streets with resident’s front doors and gardens opening into the space encouraging neighbourliness.
As well as a communal pocket park within the scheme, each building has a lush internal courtyard garden that integrates seating, tables and natural features for play and relaxation.
Peckham Place has delivered 330 new homes, with over 75% affordable homes in social rent and shared ownership tenures across the development, and the remaining 25% for private sale. Providing homes for everyone with a variety of green, open spaces, accessible to all residents fosters community cohesion. Peckham Place not only creates much-needed new homes to the area, but also brings life and a real sense of place and community to Queen’s Road.
" Living at Peckham Place feels like the residents have been considered from the start. My walk home along a new residential street is a great transition from the busy, urban Queens Road. A gallery access means I have my own front door and windows looking in two directions. I particularly enjoy the visual connection from my inside home to the shared garden which has been a joy to watch change over the seasons. I am encouraged by the quality of the building as a standard for all Londoners regardless of tenure."
Tom, Peckham Place Resident